Call-out for Contemporary Artists – 2017 Creative Challenge
AWESOME Arts is looking for contemporary artists with experience working with young people in diverse and complex communities. Skills in facilitating storytelling, and representing identity, place and empathy would be ideal for our 2017 theme.
About Creative Challenge
Creative Challenge is AWESOME’s year round artist-in-residency program that celebrates the bright young things living in regional and remote Western Australia. Two artists take residence in each community for one/two weeks to share their knowledge and skills. The program is process-driven, involving participants in research, conceptual development, and creation of artwork that communicates the uniqueness of their community.
These residencies aim to spark creative play, independent thinking, and story telling, with our key aspiration being to give voice to young West Australian’s living in regional and remote communities. The program is renowned for offering high quality arts experiences, encouraging young people to consider their individual and collective community identity.
About the theme: I Hear You
The 2017 theme I Hear You is about celebrating and hearing the voices of young people and encouraging them to listen to others around them. This theme is centered around creating and building empathy in children and helping them work together and respond to one another with consideration. Through this theme, Creative Challenge aims to cultivate the act of listening to others and present the sharing of ideas, opinions and concerns through art. These ideas have a wide field of reference, enabling and encouraging children to explore a variety of places and/or ideas that are central to their wellbeing and particularly the wellbeing of those around them. The interpretation can be literal listening to one another or metaphorical listening through empathy and compassion. Once again, the project will be interpreted and implemented through a variety of art forms.
- Minimum of 5 years experience as a practicing artist and/or
- Minimum qualification tertiary qualifications in a relevant arts/education discipline.
- Must have or obtain a current Working With Children Check.
- Experience working with young people and/or in a school environment.
- Experience working with Indigenous people.
- Experience working in rural and remote communities.
How to Apply
- Response to Selection Criteria below (max 2 pages)
- CV (1 page)
- 2 professional referee contacts
- 3 images of previous work and/or a link to a website
Deadline: 9am Monday 23 January 2016
Submit applications via email to Alex Biddle, Operations Manager firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: 2017 Creative Challenge Artist Application.
- Describe your arts practice, as it relates to contemporary process-driven community arts.
- Drawing on your experience, explain how you would go about creatively engaging with children and young people in regional and remote WA. In particular, discuss your previous experience working in schools/education facilities and name any regional schools if applicable.
- Tell us how you would approach the 2017 project theme I Hear You. In particular, describe how you might facilitate a story through exploration of local culture and identity in an innovative way using your own arts practice.
- Please detail any previous experience delivering a sponsorship message; handling sponsor materials including signage, merchandise and message promotion.
Preference will be given to candidates who:
- Deliver high quality artists experiences for participants.
- Demonstrate they can effectively involve young people in a creative process.
- Incorporate professional learning opportunities for educators.
- Link their creative process to the current Western Australian Curriculum.
Take a look at previous Creative Challenge Projects on our Facebook Page or website at www.awesomearts.com/creative-challenge. Successful artists are required to:
- Attend a full day Training session in March.
- Provide a range of available dates for a one/two week residency between April and September 2017.
- Develop and implement a one/two-week creative project relating to the theme in collaboration with another artist (selected by AWESOME, unless applying as a collaborative team).
- Implement the sponsor message ‘Go for 2&5’ in workshops in an integrated artistic way (visit http://www.gofor2and5.com.au/ for further information).
- Host a celebration event in the local community at the culmination of the residency.
- Document the project with photo, film, and written report and obtain/adhere to photographic permission forms.
- Be available for phone and email communication with the CCD Manager throughout the year (minimal).
- Attend a short debrief session post residency.
- Strictly adhere to all contractual stipulations.
For further information or any queries, please contact Alex on 61 8 9328 9666 or email@example.com.